R5 REINVENTING THE CLASSIC
The Cervelo R5 makes no compromises as an ultralight race machine first and foremost. Team Dimension Data’s World Tour riders also praise its new pro fit, stable and responsive handling, and unrivalled stiffness. No wonder Bernie Eisel calls it “the perfect bike for stage racing,” with Omar Fraile demonstrating as much by powering it to glory in the 100th Giro d’Italia.
ELITE ALL-ROUND ENGINEERING
After years of research and testing on the road, in the lab and in the wind tunnel, we’ve redefined the classic road bike by revolutionizing three interconnected factors — comfort, fit, and handling/stability — while continuing to push the aero envelope with new Squoval Max tube shapes.
With 21% more stiffness at the headtube and 13% more at the bottom bracket, the new R5 is our stiffest-ever road frame with rim brakes. But that’s far from the whole story: It also incorporates a stiffness-to-weight ratio that has been meticulously tuned to the attacking style of high-performance road cyclists.
Elite road riders no longer equate comfort with soft, slow bikes. Vertical compliance can reduce fatigue and, in turn, boost power output. Wheel manufacturers’ wind-tunnel testing has also shown that wider tires can deliver aero benefits. For these reasons, tire clearance for the new R Series has been widened to 28mm. Combine this with a Cervélo-engineered aero seatpost, and vertical compliance is further increased while improving aerodynamics. At the same time, a new pro fit and handling geometry will have you charging down chicanes and attacking cobbles with complete confidence.
As well as the freedom to use a wider range of tire sizes, dozens of small, satisfying design details separate good from extraordinary: A subtle-yet-robust chain-stay protector, a sleek fitting top cap, an integrated Cervélo-engineered bar and stem that allows forinternal electronic cable routing and easy computer mounting, an aero seatpost with integrated clamp and cover...the list goes on.
PREMIUM ROAD PERFORMANCE
The ultimate all-round race machine deserves optimal component packages to maximize performance, and the R5 delivers. A revamped handling geometry balances stability and responsiveness for a ride experience that will make your confidence soar and your rivals curse.
STIFFER, FASTER, BETTER
The stiffest rim brake-equipped road frame we have ever produced joins forces with performance-enhancing comfort, confidence-inspiring handling, and world-class lightweight design and aerodynamics made possible by innovative new Squoval Max tube shapes.
- BBRIGHT- This asymmetrical 79mm bottom-bracket standard yields stiffer and lighter frames and crank systems.
- FUTURE-PROOF CABLE MANAGEMENT- Ensures your frame is compatible with all current and future derailleur and brake systems.
- CARBON DROPOUTS- Tough, compression-molded dropouts save weight with no sacrifice in strength compared to traditional metal dropouts.
- EVOLVED STEERER DESIGN- The fork steerer’s diameter has a noticeable effect on a bike’s handling. Evolved steerer design applies the diameters and taper designs that best suit each model.
- REDUCED-FRICTION BB GUIDE- Significantly reduces cable friction in the bottom bracket, which means smoother shifting, easier setup and longer service intervals.
- SQUOVAL- This library of tube shapes allows cervelo engineers to “dial in” the weight-saving, aero, stiffness and compliance properties that best suit specific areas of a frame.